Worth a VisitThe Red House Museum is near The Priory. Built in 1764 as the Parish Workhouse, in 1953 it was designated a Word Heritage Site. A small museum but a fascinating one.
I was puzzled to read the headline in the Christchurch Times of 13 June 2019, Ferry extension plan gets the green light.’ Strange – the Red House Museum, though near the Quay, is hardly a good launch site! All became clear later in the article. It is actually an extension, to be constructed within the grounds, to house a significant passenger ferry, a salmon punt from 1948, which was described as ‘very significant to the history of the river.’ When the extension is complete the punt will be housed in a fitted steel frame. Sophie Mawdsley, the planning officer, said, “It is considered that the modest addition to the listed building would not harm its character or historic integrity.” The actual plans can be seen on the BCP Council website here, and a plan of the location is here. Here is information about the salmon punt, taken from here (or click the image below):
Christchurch Salmon PuntThis traditional style of boat designed for salmon fishing was nets was built in 1948 at Fisherman’s Bank by Norman Derham. It is built specially to be able to take the weight of the net full of fish being hauled in, but with a flat bottom for the shallow water in Christchurch Harbour. This type of fishing was done at The Run, the mouth of the harbour at Mudeford.
Mullet were caught in the same way in Christchurch Harbour, and in the open sea, bass and shellfish. At Mudeford during the summer, many fishermen earned a living ferrying visitors over to Mudeford Sandbank. This boat, ‘The Nimbus’, was used in this way before 1970. It could take 12 passengers with one or two people rowing.
The eight foot oars were each placed between two thole pins: the holes for these are in the blocks on the sides of the boat.