May 25 2019
The First Day
This afternoon I went to have a look at this Festival, on the first day of three for the new event. Fortunately I had parked some way away and walked down. As you might expect, the car park was full and vehicles arrived continually, only to depart soon afterwards! No-one is to blame, the Festival was really busy, and it is hard to imagine a solution to this problem, except for a huge multi-storey by the harbour!
As well as the various food stalls, there was also a fairground and some live, quite vigorous music. The pictures below should give you some idea of the range of things to do. The header picture to this page shows that even adults enjoy a good but of kids’ fun, though one person is checking his mobile ‘phone while riding!
It was a fantastic success on this, the opening day. The programme for all three days is at the bottom of this page.
Click to see an individual picture, or to view the gallery.
This, the very first Seafood Festival, took place from May 25-27. Go to their website
Here are some pictures from day two – as usual, click for a larger version or to scroll through the gallery. Note that a video is under preparation and will be added soon. It includes music from the Moddey Duo.
Here are some comments from the local NextDoor blog. It met with universal approval!
- Just walked across. Some delicious seafood. Also, try the homemade lemonade from the stall at the far end – best I have ever tasted. Two very funny men providing street entertainment – well worth a watch. A great first festival.
- Just on our way, it so nice to have the support for a local event for the first year 👍Hopefully many more.
- Yes we were there, great day . Worth a visit.
- Wasn’t it great! Lovely atmosphere, lots of people spending! Shame we can’t offer more parking, there were a few spaces in the Avon Run car park (about 3pm) so I hope there were clear directions for our visitors who found that couldn’t park at Mudeford car park.
- I really hope it’s going to be an annual event now. Well done to organisers and to the Almighty for great weather on day one.
Timetable of Events
Michelin-starred chefs will be giving demonstrations on the Quay, even with some audience participation. Organised by local events company XC Pop Up, there will be over sixty stallholders.
I quote from the Echo article:
XC Pop Up director Chris Rice said: “We are extremely excited to be organising Mudeford Seafood Festival, an event which we hope will become a favourite each year for all the family and foodies but importantly support and showcase our wonderful local producers, suppliers, artisans and chefs.
The response across the local business community and helping to get the festival off the ground has been overwhelming and the buzz across social media has been fantastic. We are also very lucky to have Jimmy’s Iced Coffee, Ringwood Brewery, Hattingley Valley, Conker Spirit and The Outdoor Versatile Oven, all on board generously sponsoring the festival.
Visitors can also enjoy live music from local bands and musicians including The Royal Ts and The Moddey Duo. For the kids there will be a traditional old skool fun fair and street entertainers.
Postscript: In the Christchurch Times, 30 April, the organiser, Chris Rice, is quoted as saying:
It’s far exceeded any expectations we had. We’re chuffed to bits with it. We’ve been in close contact with stallholders and the feedback has been great, so it’s fantastic. The aim is that this will be an annual event. It’s been a really fun, family weekend, and that’s been really positive.