It was reported in the Christchurch Times (10 October 2019) that housebuilding is not proceeding as quickly as it should be. As this article is not available online, here is a summary of the main points:
- Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole Councils have not met their targets for the past two years.
- Christchurch and East Dorset have not met theirs for six years.
- Only around a third of houses it has approved in the last three years have been built.
- Some sites have issues which affect their viability. A notable one is Roeshot Hill: the building of 875 homes received outline permission in 2017, but had been delayed through complex negotiations with Taylor Wimpey.
- Councillor Phipps said, ‘… delivery of housing can sometimes be out of our hands.’